We had a customer who has been staying with us for quite some time. His name was Kim Smith. He was a very nice guy and we are approaching the holidays. He had been staying at our place because the hospital was next door, and he had been going over there for daily or every other day treatments. During this time, he had come very close to some of our staff, because he was a super nice guy and had probably been at our hotel for a month or even more.
On this particular day, the housekeepers had gone in his room like normal to check some things and do their daily routine. They had a routine with him, because he had been there for some time. Anyway, he was “sleeping” in the recliner like normal, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. This was a normal occurence, because he didn’t like sleeping in the bed it was easier for him to sleep in the recliner. When they were in there, they didn’t think anything of it, because he had been in this position before.
Well, some time had passed and he received some phone calls. These phone calls would ring back to the desk, because no one would answer. One of the calls was also his appointment that he missed. At this time, we decided to go check on him to see if he was okay. He appeared to not be okay, so we called 9-1-1. In the meantime, another guest happen to be nearby and heard, and offered to help try to resuscitate him. The paramedics arrived and they also tried what they could to no avail.
Eventually, after communication between the paramedics and doctors at the hospital, he was declared dead. This was taken very hard by my front desk people, my maids, and even the maintenance guys. And because they were all crying and having a hard time, it created a struggle for me, because I had to now try to help them cope with this. But not only that, I also had to deal with Police, ambulance, paramedics, and coroner all day while they did their investigation.
This post is actually written after some time has passed. So the exact date may be off a little bit.